Looking for a blood stem cell donor
2 year old Mira has been diagnosed with AML (Acute myeloid leukemia (AML), is a cancer of the myeloid line of blood cells, characterized by the rapid growth of abnormal white blood cells that accumulate in the bone marrow and interfere with the production of normal blood cells.) and is looking for a blood stem cell donor of her genetic type, who can save her life. The probability of finding a matched donor for Indians is very low and hence it is required to have a large donor base to find the right match. If you are between the ages of 18 and 50, and are healthy, you can be a potential donor.
Venue for donor drive: Apex Transworld, 38, 2nd Main Road, RA Puram, Near Billroth Hospital (Opposite Cream Centre Restaurant), Chennai
When: On 13th March 2016, from 10 AM to 1 PM
Contact: +91 99400 63101
If you cannot attend the drive, but would still like to register, please visit www.datriworld.org to request for a do-it-yourself kit.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Buccal Swab Sample
- A quick and simple process, where a cotton swab is rubbed inside your cheek. It is later processed to determine your genetic typing.
- In case of a successful genetic match, stem cells are obtained from you (donor) and injected into the patient’s blood stream.
- Buccal Cells – A cotton swab is rubbed inside your cheek.
Process the Samples to analyze the DNA
- Once a sample is collected, it is processed in a state-of-the-art lab at Histogenetics, a partner of DATRI.
- HLA typing is done and a unique code is assigned to every sample.
- The Genetic information of an individual obtained after thorough analysis is stored in DATRI’s database.
Search for a match
- The patient’s tissue typing (genetic information) needs to match very closely with that of the donor, to enable a successful transplant.
- DONOR: Once a match is found, stem cells are obtained from the donor. The process is usually as simple as drawing blood.
- PATIENT: The stem cells are then infused into the patient’s blood stream.
“Readers are requested to Kindly Share this event as much as possible To help this KID”
YES……We can Make Difference …………..